Earlier this year, the Federal Government of Nigeria announced that all old yellow cards would become invalid and a new e-yellow card would replace it instead.
What is a Yellow Card and Why Do You Need One?
The yellow card is a small booklet that shows proof of receipt of the yellow fever vaccination and other vaccinations like oral polio and cholera vaccines. These vaccines protect you from infection and transmission of the respective diseases in certain countries.
Which Countries Require The Yellow Fever Card?
According to the World Health Organization(WHO), a Nigerian will have to obtain the yellow fever card if (s)he plans on visiting any of the following countries:
Angola, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin Republic, Bolivia, Bonaire, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Congo, Cuba, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominica, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, India, e.t.c
See the full list here.
Steps To Obtain The New E- Yellow Card In Nigeria
- Visit https://www.yellowcardnigeria.com
- Click on “Register” from the drop-down menu
- Fill in your personal information
- At the bottom of the page, click “Pay Now” and generate a receipt
- Make Payment of 2000 Naira and proceed to print the receipt. If you filled in your email correctly, a receipt would be automatically sent to your mail and you can proceed to print from there
- Make a photocopy of the biodata page of your international passport
- Attach the photocopy of your biodata page to the receipt and proceed to the nearest Port Health Service office
- The yellow fever vaccine would be administered to you if you don’t have proof of receipt of the vaccine in the last 10 years. Also, depending on the country you’re visiting, you might receive two drops of the oral polio vaccine. Ensure you eat something before taking the vaccines
- You would be told when to come back to pick up your new yellow fever card. Ask if you’re not told.
I got mine at the Port Health Service Office in Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos. What nobody tells you is, you have to be at the office as early as 7:30a.m to get your name on a list, once the list exceeds a certain number, the officials stop attending to people and tell you to come back the next day. The office opens on weekends and it is advisable to go on Saturday morning as you wouldn’t have to deal with the crowd.
It is advisable to get your vaccines and certificate at least 10 days to your departure date.
You Might’ve Missed These Posts