Traveling can be very exciting right from the planning stage. The D-day arrives and armed with your itinerary, travel documents and travel luggage, you’re ready to explore a new country then you land and the jetlag hits! If yours isn’t like one of those cheap flights to Dubai, you’ll be left wondering if the journey and expensive plane ticket are worth the discomforts that come with being jetlagged. Fortunately, a while ago I curated a list of measures to take before, during and after a long flight to tackle these discomforts and decided to share.
What is Jetlag?
Jetlag is extreme tiredness and other physical effects felt by a person after a long flight across different time zones. Symptoms include disturbed sleep, daytime fatigue, difficulty concentrating and functioning, and even the occasional stomach trouble.
While planning your itinerary for your trip, be sure to schedule in extra time to get a little rest in between flights and avoid scheduling activities for immediately you land. Other things you could do include:
- Sleep or rest well before your flight. If you’re Nigerian, chances are relatives would keep you up all night before your trip and still attempt to smuggle you into the airport a good 4-5 hours before your flight. Try to get enough sleep before the flight.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks before your flight. Alcohol is well known for its dehydrating effect, throw in the effect of altitude and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Wait till your plane lands before knocking back those drinks.
- Avoid coffee and caffeinated drinks
Not sure where to go on your next adventure? Get a headstart by scanning through these cheap flights to Dubai.
There’s not much you can do during your flight but these should help:
- Resist the urge to take sleeping pills especially on long trips and try to get as much sleep as you can, you would feel well rested and your body would thank you when you land!
- Try to move around and take as many bathroom breaks as needed to keep your blood circulation going.
- Set your watch to correspond to your new time zone, it’ll help you to psychologically start adapting to your destination.
Try to stretch to get rid of the kinks from sitting for a long flight, get a few hours of sleep and you’ll be ready to be out exploring in no time! You’ll want to give yourself time to rest in between your planned activities and stay off strenuous activities for the first few days. Developing and maintaining a good sleeping and eating pattern would also do you a world of good.
Although these tips would be helpful in significantly reducing the level of discomforts experienced with jetlag, they won’t completely eliminate it. However, choosing destinations with shorter flying hours can completely take out your chances of experiencing jetlag. Booking cheap flights to Dubai and other nearby vacation destinations would have you enjoying all the perks of traveling minus the jetlag!
Be the first to receive new information, subscribe here
Connect with me on social media
Click on any of the following – Youtube // Twitter // Instagram // Facebook