When I had my first big chop, I knew nothing about hair types and I would sit for hours watching Youtube videos of girls with 3C hair transform their curly hair into different amazing styles. After watching, I would sit in front of my mirror pulling and tugging at my thin, 4C hair and willing it to transform into what I had just seen to no avail. Fast forward to 6 months later, I came across another Youtube video that explained all about natural hair and hair typing, it was an aha moment for me, I started seeing and treating my hair differently after that.
Why should you know your hair type?
- Helps in determining products that would work best for your hair.
- Helps you know hairstyles that would favor your hair type.
- Helps you understand your hair better
Read all about Type 1 hair Here
Read all about Type 2 hair Here
Read all about Type 3 hair Here
Read all about Type 4 hair here
Moving on, I was walking on my own past a group of girls when I heard ” her hair looks dirty” WHAAAATTTT? My inner ninja wanted to turn back and show off some of my non-existent moves when I realized I was outnumbered and just kept on walking. So far, these are some of the funniest and untrue stereotypes I’ve heard
- Natural hair is dirty and unkempt
- Natural hair is tough/unmanageable
- Girls with natural hair detest/envy those with relaxed hair
- Maintaining natural hair is expensive
- Girls with natural hair are stubborn/rebellious/feminists
What is your hair type? Have you fallen victim of these/other stereotypes? Do share.
Instagram/Facebook/Twitter : Nappyhaired